As spring time approaches and preparations begin to get the equipment and course into tip-top shape, it is also important to remember the importance of ensuring your crew is in tip-top shape. The main way to do this is refreshing everyone on vital information. While preparing for spring, it is the perfect time to reinforce the maintenance department philosophy, vision, mission, values and rules so that all employees are on the same page with where we are going and how we are going to get there.
Below I am sharing the philosophy, vision, mission, values and rules that I have developed during my time as a golf course superintendent for the maintenance department. Having all of this in place has served the purpose of keeping myself and my team on track for what our goals are and how we are going to achieve them.
Maintenance Department Philosophy
Well treated and motivated staff will develop loyalty and remain with a company for a long time. To cultivate this loyalty the attitude of supervisors is of utmost importance. Growing grass is very easy; to form and grow a team is a challenge that requires vision, attitude and discipline. As a leader I strive to make leaders out of my staff in order to encourage them to learn and grow within their job functions and department. Based on the owner’s expectation to position the golf course among the top 5 in the metroplex I designed a vision, mission and values my department follows to meet the expectations. It is important to create a personal sense of ownership and belonging for employees. Having employees that are committed to achieve this requires different types of training as the foundation.
To provide a challenging yet enjoyable course and an environment where guests of all golf levels, from casual to expert, can create memorable experiences.
Our mission is to provide exceptional recreational and social opportunities to our members, guests and anyone interested in gaining positive experiences through maintaining high expectations of excellence.
Statement of Values
- Our members are our most important asset.
- Our staff is a critical and vitally important element in our continued success.
- We treat all people, fellow members, guests, staff and suppliers, as we would like to be treated.
- We are respectful, friendly, courteous and honest in our relations.
- We value friendships and enjoyable recreational and social experiences.
- We value teamwork and volunteerism in pursuing excellence.
- We value the traditions, heritage and etiquette of the game of golf.
- Leadership and Management will be open and transparent as they strive to continuously improve our quality customer satisfaction in a fiscally responsible manner.
I focus on teaching and demonstrating to my employees the values for life, teamwork, etiquette, communication, leadership and motivation in my department. We have five rules that we follow.
# 1 Be Safe
# 2 Be kind to others
# 3 Give each task your best
# 4 If you make a mistake, tell someone
# 5 Have fun